About Me

My photo
Now retired but busy still living..

Wednesday 22 April 2015

A look at the site...

Before Anne and I set off on this long term trip a number of people asked me to show some details and pictures of the various sites we will be staying at.....

As we have been at our current site for about twelve days now I thought that it would be a good time to post some images and our thoughts on where we are staying....

Site Entrance and reception office.
 The site we are staying at is the C&CC Teign Valley Barley Meadow site near Crockernwell about ten miles from Okehampton. It is on the northern edge of Dartmoor and is within the National Park....

Access to the site by road is easy as it is not far from the main A30 route.... It is also only about half a mile from the Two Moors Way....  When I walked the 2MW route a few years ago this site was one of my overnight stops......

Backpackers/Bikepackers have a very nice secluded pitch away from the main area of the site to the right of the short entrance drive (slight slope but not enough to cause a problem)...... So for backpackers peace and quiet and a good nights sleep is almost guaranteed... (see image below)
Secluded Backpackers pitches....
The Payne family who hold the franchise for the site are very friendly and keep the site looking extremely neat and tidy....
The reception area/office is also home to a small shop which carries a range of items from a box of matches to local produce including Free Range Eggs.....Homemade Honey and Jams...Milk from the local farm and some really good Award Winning Devon Ice Cream which comes in a range of flavours.... I am currently trying to work my way through all the various flavours....
View of site....

View of site

View of site
The toilet and other facilities on site are a little dated but all kept very clean and tip top by the Payne family and are adequate for the size of the campsite.  
The toilets could be under pressure during busy periods, although this wouldn't be a problem for most caravan owners, with on board toilets and washing facilities/showers. 
Overall the site has 65 pitches so is not massive....some of the caravan hard standing pitches have little hedges around them in the style of a lot of continental sites and we have one of those. 

Would we revisit this site....
Yes we would......
This is an ideal first site for us to have started our trip.....

3 comments:

GreenComotion said...

Hi Trevor,
Such a nice campground!
I 'envy' you and thanks for showing us the campgrounds and teasing us with the information about the flavors of the ice cream - good going :)

Please do let us know when you have tasted them all and we will drink to that!

Happy Earth Day!

Have a Beautiful Day!
Peace :)

Unknown said...

Which bikes did you take with you? Did you think of getting a folder for those short trips top the shops etc ?

TrevorW�� said...

*Chandra Eswaran*
Almost finished the tasting :-)
Just another couple of flavours to go.

*Peter Roberts*
I left my touring bike at my daughters Peter... I decided to bring my Tifosi for the regular riding and the Felt for the special rides and hill climbs.
I used to have a 26" wheel folder (used it for the End2End) but I wouldn't want a small wheel folder as I've never got on with the small wheels. As I enjoy walking as well as cycling I tend to walk to the shops...

Six weeks off.

 The visit to see the Consultant went quite well really ...   My ' numbers' have started to creep up again so I am going to be given...