About Me

My photo
Now retired but busy still living..

Thursday 9 July 2015

What is that cloud..?

More very hot weather this week so most of my riding has been done early in the day.....
We have had the awning opened up because the weather has been so hot as you can see in the photo below....

Very hot weather again so awning opened up...
 Anne and I have also been getting some walking in although in this weather our pace has been on the slow side.... Up side of that of course is that we have more time to check out the views...

The next photo was taken on the way back from one of our walks and shows the canal with some narrow boats tied up and just behind in amongst the trees you can just see some of the caravans and motorhomes on our campsite.... 
Shows you just how close we are to the canal and towpath...
View of the canal and the campsite...
 The next photo shows the 'lock-up' in the village of Steeple Ashton....
Years ago, drunks and vagrants would be locked up overnight in this small structure.....being a bit of a vagrant myself I didn't hang around too long... but I need not have worried as nowadays only the lawn mower used for mowing the village green is locked inside...

The picture also shows how pleasantly traffic free most of the roads are in this area...only three cars in the photo and each of those was actually parked.....

Tiffany the Tifosi parked up next to the Steeple Ashton 'Lock-up'
Just before I arrived at the village of Steeple Ashton I was cycling along at about twenty miles an hour, when up ahead I saw what looked like a cloud of some sort at about my height just above the road.....

thought to myself "what is that cloud"? A moment later as I hit it I found out........
It was a cloud of flying insects.....
They were only small but there were thousands and thousands of them....I was absolutely covered in them....
They were in my mouth.....nose....and ears. They were under my helmet and even found their way behind my riding glasses.....They really were everywhere..!
They were all over my cycling kit and the bike as well.....
This was the main reason for my stop at the lock up......to clean them all off ......

2 comments:

David J said...

I've just been scrolling through your blog posts after nearly two months of missing all my regular blogs or even writing in my own.
You really are doing it! Fantastic. You've shared so many experiences and some beautiful images from your travels. I love the images of canal boats and the wonderful garden full of carved creatures, they castles and country roads. I am getting a great sense of life on the road in that part of the world.
Riding into swarming insects can be quite unnerving. I've ridden through a swarm of bees and never been stung and into a bunch of harmless bugs and nearly choked to death... who's to say where the hazards lay. :)

TrevorW�� said...

*David J*
You never know where the real hazards in life are David.....
I'm glad that you have enjoyed catching up with my travels and pleased to see that you are back posting on your own blog again....

Six weeks off.

 The visit to see the Consultant went quite well really ...   My ' numbers' have started to creep up again so I am going to be given...