About Me

My photo
Now retired but busy still living..

Wednesday 20 April 2016

Back on the Bike....

Since we have been here in Somerset I have started to get out on the bike again following my hospitalization a few weeks ago.....
Cycling in this area is pretty good if you like your terrain mainly flat.... 
For a person getting back on the bike after a spell in hospital 'flat' is good.....

Mind you although it is called the 'Somerset Levels' there are some pretty good hills around the outer edges for someone (like me) who has to have a hill or two in the ride to make it all worthwhile.....
In fact our campsite is on the top of a hill so at the end of a ride I get to indulge my need for a bit of an ascent......

The last time I was riding in this area was back in October 2013...
Jon Joynes was on the team who rode the 10in10 to Lake Como with me earlier that year....
In the October he invited me for a ride around the levels with him.... during the ride we dropped in at his parents house where his dad (John) showed me his Mercian bike.....

The bike was in need of a lot of TLC and since then John has had it completely renovated and rebuilt by those nice people at Mercian up in Derby.....

The other day during my latest ride I dropped in again at John's house... after a coffee and a catch-up he showed me the bike again.... what a transformation since I last saw it....
This bike is beautiful......
Judge for yourself....
John's beautiful totally restored Mercian Olympic - My Tifosi is in the background

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Merfcian--the Prince of Bikes. I love my Vincitore Special and have just treated it to some Summer Wheels :-)

GreenComotion said...

I love the saddle and the pedal strap - looks awesome.
Glad to note you are back on the road on the bike!
Have a Happy Day, Trevor!
Peace :)

mrbill said...

Hello Trevor,
I was just wondering if you've ever been to Port Wayne, I think that's it, the place where they film "Doc Martin," looks like a nice spot.

TrevorW�� said...

*Peter Roberts*
New summer wheels Eh.... You are obviously hoping for some good weather....

*Chandra@GreenComotion*
It certainly is an awesome bike Chandra.

*mrbill*
Port Wenn as it is known as in the 'Doc Martin' TV series is actually a fictional town.... The series is filmed at Port Isaac and I have indeed been there... very pretty it is too although it can get busy with tourists these days...

Dave said...

That bike certainly looks good, but the gearing on it would cause me a few problems when I came to a hill. The Somerset levels is a very interesting area, I've cycled there a couple of times.

TrevorW�� said...

*Dave*
You are right about those gear ratios Dave... John offered me a ride on the Mercian but knowing that there was a small hill to negotiate right outside of his drive I declined not wishing to show myself up..lol

Six weeks off.

 The visit to see the Consultant went quite well really ...   My ' numbers' have started to creep up again so I am going to be given...