About Me

My photo
Now retired but busy still living..

Wednesday 20 September 2017

The Three C's....

After my last post when I was complaining about not having been out on the bike for about three weeks due to both dodgy weather and commitments..... since then I have managed a couple of tough days on the bike....

Yesterday I think that I must have pushed it a bit too far as on the last hill on my return to the campsite I 'bonked' in massive style almost grinding to a complete stop.
Thinking it through when I got back I came to the conclusion that after a three week break with no riding at all I was expecting too much to go out on the bike for two long and hilly rides on successive days... 

Unless I am in tip top form I normally like to give myself a recovery day between rides and this is something that on this occasion I didn't do...
The reason for this was because I wanted to make the most of the good weather..... at my age and with my cycling experience you would have thought that I would have known that it would be a ride too far..

The older I get I notice how much more important recovery is than when I was younger.....

Here is a picture of Eva the Eriba with a Felt bike in front..... The sharp eyed will notice that it is not in fact my Felt..... no this bike belongs to my old friend Jason Boynton-Lee who cycled over to the site for a coffee and a chat.....


Eva and Felt
 I had hoped to get out on a ride with Jason but following yesterday's 'big bonk' and bearing in mind that I have another ride planned at the end of the week common sense stepped in and we settled for just the coffee and cake.....

Talking about coffee and cake....when Jason was here we discussed the route that he would take on his way back home and I happened to mention a garden centre where in the past I have both camped and also stopped at when I have been out on cycle rides.... 

The attraction on the cycle rides was the garden centre's small cafe.... I knew that it would be too much of a temptation for Jason and about an hour after he left here he sent me this image....
Classic Bike Lean Image incl Coffee..cake..sunglasses and phone...
The message that Jason sent with the image was "Can highly recommend this chocolate and apricot flapjack!"

Cycling...coffee and cake......The three C's.... Classic...

6 comments:

Jason B-L said...

Hi Trevor. Yes, it was good to catch up after a gap of a few months. The tea room pictured is called the "Sticky Bun" at Wolvercroft World of Plants on the road between Alderholt and Fordingbridge, pretty much on the Dorset / Hants border. It was pretty busy inside, even at around 3pm - a sure sign of a good place. I did about 63 miles in the end yesterday, so my turn to have a "taking it easy day" today! Weather outlook not good today in any case and I go back to work at about 7.30pm this evening - oh joy!

Jason

TrevorW�� said...

*Jason Boynton-Lee*
Yes it was good to catch up...63 miles makes a pretty good spin out for the legs....
I hope that the 'Sticky Bun' at the Wolvercroft World of Plants appreciates the free advert Lol... :-)

Dave said...

If I'm going to do that distant I like to get a few shorter rides in before. I wouldn't have done a 60 miler after a 3 week layoff, Once I'm in a regular cycling routine then for me the recovery is ok, but I do find that now my cycling fitness drops off very quickly if I'm not out on the bike regularly. When I worked I commuted 10 miles a day on the bike and that was great for keeping me "bike fit".

TrevorW�� said...

*Dave*
The thing that I have found since we have been fulltiming is that it can be difficult at certain times to maintain my regular cycling routine...
When we arrived at this location there were lot's of things to fit in..Mot..Medical Scans...See family etc and I was aware that I just had a 28 day period to fit it all in.
After a couple of weeks of inclement weather, two good weather days with nothing else booked in was just too much of a draw...As I said in the post "at my age and with my cycling experience I should have known better" :-)
One thing that I didn't mention was that I failed to fuel my ride properly.... Stupid mistake!!
My regular ride distance is about the 50 mile mark... Out at 1000hrs back by 1300hrs with a ride average speed this year of 17mph - so this kind of distance isn't something that I would normally have to build up to...On this occasion though I got a number of things wrong. Lol.
The one thing that you can be sure of is that I will always tell it as it is.. warts and all.Ha..ha...

GreenComotion said...

It is a great ride, bonk or no bonk.
Easy does it for me.
Did you have some cake? :)
Cheers, Trevor!
Have a Happy Day!
Peace :)

TrevorW�� said...

*GreenComotion*
I 'always' have cake Chandra.... except when I bonk ha..ha...

Six weeks off.

 The visit to see the Consultant went quite well really ...   My ' numbers' have started to creep up again so I am going to be given...