About Me

My photo
Now retired but busy still living..

Thursday 2 July 2015

Preparing for the Tour...

As I haven't made any cycling related posts for some time I thought that I better put that situation right....

I have been out on the bike at most of the locations we have visited so far......
The first ride in a new location is always a bit of a cautious exploration as I check out the area and the condition of the roads......

When we were in Moreton-on-Lugg I found a nice circuit to ride from the campsite and out to Bodenham where the Scarecrow festival was held and then back to the site by a different route....
The condition of the roads was not too bad but there were one or two potholes that needed avoiding along the route...

I was surprised though by the number of large trucks that were travelling on very narrow country roads that were never intended to carry vehicles of that size...
It was probably those trucks that had caused the potholes in the first place....

Tiffany the Tifosi at Bodenham next to the remains of the Old Cross

Here at Seend the road surfaces are pretty good for cycling and although I have found a few rough patches I have not come across any real potholes....

I have worked out a really nice regular ride that is virtually all on country lanes with just one 100 metre section on an A road and a 5 mile section on a B road.... 
The total distance is only 25 miles which is ideal for a quick morning or evening ride. 
If I fancy doing anything longer it is easy to build extra loops into the route and lengthen it accordingly....

Moving on.....
The other day while we were in a supermarket doing a bit of shopping I noticed this:-
Tour de France official wine from Chile?
Yes it's a bottle of Pinot Noir marked with a Tour de France Official Wine Label, but as you can see the wine comes from Chile... 
I would have thought that France produced enough of it's own fine wine to be promoting that rather than a Chilean red wine....

Not being a wine expert but still enjoying the odd glass or two...and with the TDF just a few days away..... I bought a bottle and I must say that very nice it is too.......
I must get a few more bottles in to help me in the hard task of all the hours I will be spending watching the TDF on the television over the next few weeks......

4 comments:

Unknown said...

There is an App Trevor for either Apple or Android phones called
Love Clean Streets
which as well as being able to report environmental issues, also enables you to report in Pot Holes etc. The advantage of using the phone is that you can take an image of the offending hole, and using GPS, it sends it to a database and this is passed onto, and also progressed, the Local Relevant Council to get it fixed

AND...IT WORKS!!!

TrevorW�� said...

*Peter Roberts*
That sounds good Peter... I will check it out. Thanks for the information.

RANTWICK said...

I've been drinking that Pinot for years! It is a nice wine for the price in my opinion. They added the bicycle to the label a couple of years ago, I think. The tdf thing was news to me though. I better go get me some!

TrevorW�� said...

*RANTWICK*
As you say "It is a nice wine for the price"
I have now got a few more bottles to last me through the tdf...

Six weeks off.

 The visit to see the Consultant went quite well really ...   My ' numbers' have started to creep up again so I am going to be given...