About Me

My photo
Now retired but busy still living..

Thursday 27 August 2015

Little & Large...

The weather has been slightly improved today...
Instead of continuous rain, today has been bright and sunny one minute followed by sudden very heavy showers.... But I will settle for heavy showers every now and again if it means we don't have any more of the non stop stuff....

I thought that you might be interested in details of the largest and smallest units on site at the moment....

First the largest....it arrived today!  A Wildcat 5th wheel trailer.....
Naturally I asked the owner if he minded me taking a picture to share with you all on my blog and he said no problem and invited me in to have a look around.....

I realize that my readers in the USA see a lot of these and if you travel to Spain you would see a number of them as well. 
However in the UK it is not often that you will come across a 5th wheel trailer on site.....

The Wildcat 5th Wheel Trailer
 I have to say that when looking around the Wildcat it dawned on me that it is not really camping by any stretch of the imagination.....
With two large slides on one side and a huge canopy on the other.....a large lounge and kitchen area..... a large fixed bed.... full size shower and a porcelain (not the usual plastic) toilet unit plus electric everything it is certainly 'beyond glamping'.
Kitchen area of the Widcat
In the picture above you can see the kitchen and the start of the lounge area at the camera end....
Even the kitchen cabinets rise up and down to various heights at the push of a button to suit the height of the occupants.......
The Wildcat main bedroom
The unit can sleep four people ...two in the main bedroom and the other two in fold down beds in the lounge.......

Would I want one.....?
Well the luxury would be very nice....but towing it...well that's another matter. 
I would need something a lot bigger than the CRV to tow it.....The owner has a truck with a 7.2litre engine......
It's bad enough towing Eva along narrow Devon country lanes... Towing the Wildcat up here to the site must have been a bit of a nightmare...well it certainly would have been for me.

Talking of nightmares...that's what it must be when you look at your fuel bill for towing the flipping thing........

Interestingly, the owner told me how much he had paid for it... He bought it secondhand and it cost half as much as Eva cost me.... A pretty good bargain I would say.....

However.... Great as it is I will stick with Eva the Eriba....

And now for the smallest unit on site..... I mentioned this unit in one of my previous posts.......
Currently the smallest unit on site,,,,
Yes it's the Sleeper Teardrop trailer towed by the little three wheeled Reliant Robin.....
Even the awning is bigger than the trailer.....
Small as it is the owner seems to have all the mod cons (like the Wildcat?) including television (checkout the aerial).

If I am around when the Reliant leaves the site with the teardrop on tow I will try and get a picture and share it with you......

2 comments:

David J said...

No offense to your fellow travelers but we see so many of those giant monster trailers in Australia, particularly here in the NT where everyone (with bags of loot) plans to come when they retire. Lugging those big houses on wheels around isn't my idea of getting away from it all and looks nothing like the freedom I'd be seeking I had the time.
Personally I like the small independent traveler.
I'd love to see the old Reliant towing the teardrop camper. That's what I call romantic.

TrevorW�� said...

*David J*
I agree with you David...It was interesting to take a look inside but as I said in my post, no way could it be described as camping and it must be a nightmare driving the thing on UK roads.....As for the high fuel costs of towing it, well that would be a further nightmare.....

It was interesting to hear how cheap it was to purchase on the UK seconhand market, indicating how unsuitable for UK use these monsters are seen as....

Anne and I are very happy with our quirky and iconic Eriba Touring 540 and after five months on the road we are both agreed that we wouldn't change it for anything else, larger or smaller. It is easy to tow and manoeuvre and the internal layout has proved perfect for us.....

The Reliant and the teardrop trailer is a little gem and as I said I do hope to get an image of it all hitched up in towing mode.......

Six weeks off.

 The visit to see the Consultant went quite well really ...   My ' numbers' have started to creep up again so I am going to be given...