About Me

My photo
Now retired but busy still living..

Sunday 19 February 2012

WORLD CYCLE RACING - GRAND TOUR STARTED

The World Cycle Racing - Grand Tour has now started. 
The riders set off yesterday morning from Greenwich Park in London and each rider immediately got into their  chosen route. 


There have been a variety of approaches to this race in terms of styles..bikes and equipment. Touring bike, Hybrid or Sports bike...they were all there at the start. 
Some of the riders are carrying a full touring set of kit others are travelling very obviously as light as they can. 
It will certainly be interesting to see how this race pans out over the forthcoming weeks....


I will be riding in France and then riding Edinburgh to Portsmouth during April and May and the WCR Grand Tour will still be going on ! Puts the whole thing into perspective I think.


 Don't forget, you can follow all the riders progress by going to the WCR Grand Tour web page....I have a link at the bottom of my links column in the side bar of this blog......


Also in London....


Also in London this weekend we have had the Track Cycling World Cup Classics staged at the new Olympic Velodrome. 


I would have loved to have been able to attend this event but unfortunately was unable to do so. 
I  have had to settle for watching this on television and gripping stuff it's been too.
The best track riders in the world were there and it's good to see where the various riders and teams are at this point in the run up to the Olympics later in the year......


The velodrome itself looks absolutely fantastic....Pity I didn't get any tickets for the Olympic Track Cycling at this super new venue. Like lot's of fans I applied for tickets and again like lots of fans I didn't get one, so it looks like I will be watching that at home too.....


............and my riding....


My own riding has still been going well. 
Since the beginning of the year I have managed to ride an average of 240 miles a week. This is usually made up of four days of 60 miles give or take a bit. 


I have decided that I will ease back a few miles on my weekly mileage as I don't want to overcook things too early in the year. If I was to manage somewhere in the region of an average of 180 miles a week for the rest of the year I would still hit my 10,000 miles target. 


The planned Edinburgh to Portsmouth ride will give me about 550 miles in that week alone and the couple of weeks easy touring in France should give me 700+  so at the moment the pressure has eased a little. 
I am riding well but I feel that there is lots of room for improvement and I will continue to work on that. Hills, both ascending and descending, is an area of my riding that I am  working hard at. Starting next month I should get back on a regular weekly ride with JD and that is always good for a laugh but I don't know how much serious riding we will get done.........  



3 comments:

jeff said...

Thanks for the Grand Tour link. I'll be checking in. And I'm envious of your mileage. Keep it up!

MrDaveyGie said...

That is some impressive mileage Trevor. I hear what you are saying about easing up and not wanting to 'cook' something, probably I myself push to hard at times, and seems there is a ache coming or going.

TrevorW�� said...

*jeff*
Thanks Jeff..I will certainly be trying hard with the mileage all year.

*MrDaveyGie*
Yes...I really feel I should ease up just a bit to allow my body a chance of a bit of recovery...not too many aches or pains yet so probably a good time to knock between 40/60 miles off for a few weeks.

Six weeks off.

 The visit to see the Consultant went quite well really ...   My ' numbers' have started to creep up again so I am going to be given...