About Me

My photo
Now retired but busy still living..

Wednesday 29 May 2019

Awning Problem & Tour Series.......

We arrived here at Salisbury c&cc site a week ago today.....
We had good dry weather for the journey here which was only about 23 miles anyway.....

We had lunch and started to put our awning up but it wasn't long before we noticed a problem...a bulge had appeared on the rear tube... Closer investigation showed that the air tube itself was intact but the webbing tube that it fitted into had failed along about a foot of  stitching....
We then had to take the awning down and put up the Isabella canopy and also the Isabella windscreen that we also recently purchased.....

We had some hot weather over the bank holiday and this combination seemed to work quite well...
I have included an image of the setup below....... It's quick to put up and just as quick to take down so as an alternative to a full awning I can recommend the combo......

On the Thursday evening we walked into Salisbury to watch the Ovo Energy Tour Series city centre cycle racing.....
I was keen to watch the Women's Brother UK Tifosi team....
As my winter/audax bike is a Tifosi I thought that it would be good to go along and support  them. The team was leading the series and I am pleased to say they also won the race here in Salisbury...
Following the women's race we watched the men's race which I have to admit was much faster than the women... Having said that I would have struggled to keep up with the women anyway.....

Isabella canopy and windscreen.







On Friday we drove back over to Wimborne for my appointment with my cardiologist.
She spelled out the current situation with my Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy and the risks I run if I take part in any form of competitive sport... This obviously includes sportives and audax events and she repeated the warning about not going over 85% of my max heart rate.
She has also arranged for me to have a treadmill test in September as well as counselling sessions prior to having a gene test....

While we were near Bournemouth we popped over to Automotive  Leisure with the awning airpole....
A new one will have to come from France and then be sent on to us at a campsite....it will be interesting to see how long that takes.....


2 comments:

Dave said...

We've just come back from a tour of Germany and Switzerland and I saw many Eriba's with the Isabella canopy, they are very effective and quick to erect. Any rain is quickly dispersed, unlike the roll out awning on the van which you have to make sure there's a slope otherwise the rain collects in the middle and can destroy the awning.

I like Salisbury Campsite as it's so convenient for the town. I've noticed that many of the CCC sites need a lot of upgrading and are not up to the standard of other sites.

All the best with the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy as I can imagine how hard it will be if you have to restrict your cycling.

TrevorW�� said...

@Dave
I trust that you had a great time on your tour if Switzerland and Germany. Last time I was there was when I cycled through both countries during my Ten Countries in Ten Days cycle challenge way back in 2014...
I like the location of the Salisbury CCC site with it's proximity to the city but I don't like the site...I feel that it has no soul being just two exposed fields that always seem to be windy....
I think the reason a number of CCC sites require upgrading is because in those locations the club cannot get security of a long term lease on the land and therefore feel that they can't spend the upgrade money with the uncertainty of the tenure.... A perfect example of this is the Norwich site which is in dire need of a facilities upgrade but the council who own the land seem to work on a year by year agreement.....
Three of our next four sites are private ones that we have booked on recommendations from campers that we have met on our travels.... They tend to have more character and often work out cheaper than club sites....

Six weeks off.

 The visit to see the Consultant went quite well really ...   My ' numbers' have started to creep up again so I am going to be given...