About Me

My photo
Now retired but busy still living..

Sunday 1 September 2019

Docks......

Our time here in the Forest of Dean is now up and tomorrow we head back down to Dorset. 
We will be touching base with my daughter and her family.... 
They have recently returned from a trip to Canada so it will be interesting to hear all about their own travels..... 

As well as visiting family and friends I have a number of hospital appointments and other commitments starting off with a MOT and service for the car next Friday.

We have loved this little site and will be sad to move on but that is after all what full-time touring is all about. 

During the time that we have been here there has been a very useful bus service that has been running for over thirty years but like a lot of rural bus services in the UK the plug has been pulled and the service has been withdrawn. 

The last bus ran yesterday. 
I have no idea how some of the elderly locals are now going to manage without the bus as it was a real lifeline for a lot of people.

 One lady I was talking to told me that she is now selling her house and moving because she no longer drives a car and just won't be able to get by without that bus.

 Anne and I took one of the last buses to use the route to travel to Gloucester.... We visited the cathedral and the shops and then wandered over to the docks for a look around and also have a spot of lunch.
 It was over twenty five years since I had last visited the docks area and I must say that a good job has been done in tidying and smartening the whole area up.

 Since we have been staying here I have taken quite a few photographs of the forest area and beyond which I have not shared on the blog yet...
 Over the next few posts I will share them with you but in the meantime below are some of the images I took around Gloucester docks... 







2 comments:

Dave said...

Its a shame about local buses ceasing as its usually the older people who support them, although the car is the main source of transport in rural areas. When we moved out of Cardiff good local transport was a major factor in deciding where to live.
Dock developments have certainly smartened up what once was a run-down area, with the Cardiff Bay area being a good example. Although initially there was an impact on local wildlife, the reserves they have created nearby have encouraged a far greater diversity of wildlife than what was there before.

TrevorW�� said...

@ Dave
We are told to use public transport more often and then the public transport is withdrawn... Modern life is a bit of a madness.....

Six weeks off.

 The visit to see the Consultant went quite well really ...   My ' numbers' have started to creep up again so I am going to be given...