About Me

My photo
Now retired but busy still living..

Wednesday 14 October 2020

Meet Freya .........


This is my new bike. ...  As with all my vehicles...caravans....etc I follow the tradition of giving them names. This bike I have named Freya (the Focus)  .....Although I have had the bike for ten days,  due to poor weather conditions namely rain, today was the first decent  day that we have had good enough to ride the bike. I didn't want to have the first ride in the pouring rain......

The bike is a Focus Paralane2 ( that's squared) not two. It has a full carbon frame with BBB aluminium compact bars. 

I was unsure whether to go for the 105 groupset or the Ultegra until I saw a video on GCN comparing ten year old Dura Ace (which is what I have on my Felt) with the latest 105. The upshot was that due to the trickle down of technology from the top groupsets to the lower components they found that apart from the weight of the Dura Ace being lighter the quality of the latest 105 was equal in all areas..

As I have been perfectly happy with the Dura Ace on the Felt and also happy with the older 105 on the Tifosi it made the decision for me to go with the 105 and save a bit of cash by doing so...

So I have 105 throughout apart from the chain set which is FSA.

The brakes are hydraulic with 160 discs back and front and flat mounted.

The gears are 50/34 front and 11/34 rear so it offers a good spread of ratios.

The saddle is a Prologo Kappa3 which I found to be pretty comfortable during my ride today. It seems to be similar to the Fizik Aliante which is what I have on the Felt.

The wheels are DT Swiss with a height of 32mm and shod with Continental Grand Prix 5000 at a width of 28mm. The bike has thru axles with a 148x12 at the rear and 110x12 at the front. The thru axles are what is called R.A.T. which is rapid axle technology. This is similar to a quick release but with a quarter turn bayonet at one end and a lever at the other end. 

On the electric side of things I went for the Fazua system and the bike has a Fazua Evation, 60nm, 250W/400w max motor .

Back in 2008/9 I was 5'10in in height and my current bikes are all size 56. Over the past 10/11 years I appear to have lost one inch in height so with this bike I have gone for a size 54. During my ride today I was very pleased with the fit of the bike and found it very comfortable to ride.... The bike fit and all the adjustments I made to the bike prior to today's first ride has obviously paid off......

Most of today's ride was made with the motor off while I made full use of the wide gear ratios..... I did try out the motor on a couple of hills but it would appear that for most of my riding the motor will be off with the occasional use of the eco mode on the stiffer hills. 

The motor has four settings... Off... Eco called Breeze.. Medium called River... Turbo called Rocket. Why they choose such silly names I really don't know why......

As I get more used to the bike no doubt I will make more use of the various settings but for now I want to just get used to riding the bike without the motor as it rides so well as a normal bike .....

As time goes on I will keep you updated how everything works out with Freya.  ..




5 comments:

Dave said...

Its well spec'd and from a distance looks like an ordinary road bike. At least with the 3 settings and presumably your heart rate monitor you should be able to keep within your prescribed limits. Lots of good fun to be had.

Unknown said...

Her name is Freya she is a Germanic Beauty from East Berlin Trevor another lady in your life she looks beautiful she rides well I can't wait to hear how her heart beats when she assists you on the steepest climbs. I went out at 5pm this evening and arrived home at 2100 I had cycled to cheetlle in the dark on my bike Rommel the Desert Fox full German engineering with a searchlight on the front great cycle ride covered 51miles the Rommel is built for the toughest landscapes best JD

Steve A said...

I think Dura Ace and 105 have always been of similar quality. Below 105; not so much. When buying new, I tend to go for 105 myself. When buying used, I treat myself to the lighter Dura Ace or Ultegra.

Bike components that require batteries are something I want to hear your reports on for a while yet. Ebikes are in a state of rapid flux right now. Among other things I want to know: how does it work off road and can it handle sand? Range? Will it do cargo hauling well? Would the frame handle tires like you'd put on a cyclocross bike and will you be acquiring such kit? The questions go on and on!

The bike shed said...

Could I suggest you also try something else - which is to ride with bike permanently in eco mode but to ride it just as hard as before (measure this on heart rate) - that way you get the same benefit in term of exercise, except you go further / faster. It took me a while to realise that this is how e-bikes are designed to be ridden - they are not meant to be ridden with the motor off except occasionally for the hills - that's an attitudinal hang-over from riding 'normal' bikes for so long (and I mean that kindly, because it's what I did as somehow I felt I was cheating) - when you think about it, what's the point in lugging around a battery and motor that you barely use? At least try it and see how you get on.

J_on_tour said...

Sorry to hear about your heart condition, hope it stays stable.

It seems to be the thing now with e-bikes. I've heard a lot of talk about them amongst friends this year. One friend I know was inspired to get one by her brother. It didn't feel right for her and took it back to the shop. A month or two later the brother skidded and fell off his ending up in hospital with a few bits and pieces to sort out. I think it might be a nice progression for accomplished cyclists.... speaking of which, I've ridden mine twice this year which is twice more than the previous three years. Hopefully I'll try and make time for it more next year.

Six weeks off.

 The visit to see the Consultant went quite well really ...   My ' numbers' have started to creep up again so I am going to be given...