About Me

My photo
Now retired but busy still living..

Wednesday 27 May 2015

Getting Close to Nature.....

One of the things that I enjoy the most about camping in all its forms is getting close to nature....

We have only been on this trip for a couple of months but we have had close encounters with a wide range of wildlife already.

When we were in Devon we saw amongst other things a magnificent heron trying to steal fish from the lake we were overlooking from our pitch.
Then we had that adder slither across the path in front of us, so close that I could have picked it up. However none of our encounters with all the various wildlife we saw was as close as what happened the other day.....

I was sitting in the awning watching a small group of bluetits playing around in the tall hedge that seperates our pitch from a field.
The birds were making a lot of noise and seemed to be enjoying themselves flying in and out of the hedge.

All of a sudden one of the small birds flew out of the hedge, straight through one of the awning doors and then through the door of the caravan.
Once it found itself inside the caravan it seemed to panic and couldn't find the way out again. I entered the caravan myself and tried to help it towards the door and freedom but all to no avail....

In the end the only thing I could do was gently catch the little guy and then take him outside and release him again.
As I let him go again he flew off back to the hedge and appeared none the worse for his temporary capture.

Not so much getting close to nature as actually touching it........


2 comments:

GreenComotion said...

It takes a special skill to calm a bird that feels trapped. Glad you got that skill, Trevor.
Good Karma my friend!
Have a Beautiful Day!!
Peace :)

TrevorW�� said...

*Chandra Eswaran*
I think 'the skill' comes from years ago as a youngster. I was fascinated by wild birds and breeding birds in a large aviary that my father built for me.
Nowadays I don't agree with keeping birds in captivity, but back then I was heavily in to it as a hobby.
I became very good at catching birds both in the aviary and in the wild I also seemed able to keep them very calm.....

Six weeks off.

 The visit to see the Consultant went quite well really ...   My ' numbers' have started to creep up again so I am going to be given...